Best Ever Chocolate Cake, ‘Lower’ Calorie, and Healthier.
If you just need something to do on a lazy summer afternoon, bake the Best Ever Chocolate Cake!
My daughter and granddaughter are living with us right now. They’ll be here for the next few months.
Therefore, I’m trying to take advantage of our time together to do fun things and make memories with my granddaughter. However, we are in the Covid-19 quarantine, and consequently, our options are very limited.
Here it is in July, and the weather is hot. Therefore, we don’t even want to go outside.
We’d done two art projects and played a game of Chicken Dominoes, and then decided, “Let’s bake a chocolate cake!”
I dug out my favorite recipe and took a look at the ingredients.
- The batter called for 1 cup of half and half, 1/2 cup of oil and 2 large eggs.
- For the frosting, I needed 2 sticks of butter and 1/2 cup of sour cream!
I wanted to make this delicious chocolate cake, however, it wasn’t very healthy. In other words, I had to make some changes.
We made some ingredient changes
For example, in place of the half and half, I used Fage zero fat greek yogurt which turned out just fine. There wasn’t any noticeable change in the texture or flavor.
I cut back the sugar to 1 1/2 cups and the oil to 1/3 cup. I substituted 2 medium eggs for 2 large. Actually I only had medium eggs in the house.
For the frosting, I changed the recipe to one that only used 6 tbsp of butter and 1/3 cup of milk. I used 1%. The frosting was fluffy and delicious and is going to become my new go-to!
By making these changes, I made the recipe a little healthier.
For example, calories decreased from 486 to 293 calories per slice. And grams of fat from 18.2 to 10 grams of fat per slice. Sugar content decreased from 53 grams to 36 grams of sugar per slice.
Unfortunately, this does not make this cake low calorie, however, it improves it and allows you to feel less guilty when enjoying it.
Best Chocolate Cake…Made Better
- Two 9" round cake pans, greased and lined.
- 1 3/4 cup Flour
- 1 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Fage, 0 fat, plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup Vegetable oil
- 2 medium Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Strong Hot Coffee
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 6 tbsp Softened Butter
- 2 1/3 cups Confectioners Sugar
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/3 cup Low Fat Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 ts[ Sa;t
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees FPrepare cake pans
- Stir together first 6 dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl, wisk the wet ingredients
- Stirring between additions, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Stir until well blended.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans and bake on the center rack for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean and edges have pulled away from the side of the pan.
- Allow the layers to cool completely before frosting.
For The Frosting
- Beat the softened butter until smooth
- Add all the remaining ingredients until well blended
- Frosts middle and sides of two 9" round layers
This is one of the most delicious chocolate cake recipes you will ever make! In other words…you’ve got to make it at least once!
Everyone will want seconds. Serve with vanilla ice cream and sliced strawberries for a very decadent dessert! Above all, enjoy!