Potato and Lentil Soup, is delicious, fresh and light!
Like many of you, my family and I are planning to eat more plant-based meals at our house. We decided to start with once a week, “Meatless Monday”.
A recent Monday rolled around and we were considering what to make for dinner. It needed to be simple and easy and above all, nutritious! We decided to go with this delicious Potato and Lentil Soup!
Lentils are an excellent source of protein, B vitamins, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc. Additionally, lentils are a great source of plant-based protein and fiber.
As an alternative, try substituting yellow or green split peas. Split peas as well as lentils are nutrient rich and provide protein, zinc, phosphorus and iron.
Legumes are high in fiber and have anti-inflammatory benefits which can lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of pre-diabetes.
Fortunately we had all the ingredients on hand, and consequently prep was a snap!
My husband prepared the soup while I researched more ideas for next week! I think we will be trying a Tofu Stir-fry!
Potato and Lentil Soup
- 1 med Bell Pepper diced
- 1 large carrot peeled, diced
- 1 med onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 TBSP Olive oil
- 32 oz Vegetable broth
- 5 small potatoes cubed
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- Place first 6 ingredients into a large soup pot. Saute over medium heat until the onions are clear, stirring often, do not let them brown.
- Add the vegetable broth, and potatoes and cook until the potatoes are soft but still firm or about half cooked. Add the lentils and cook until both the lentils and potatoes are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add curry powder to spice it up if you like.
- Garnish with very thinly sliced mushrooms and shaved asiago cheese (optional)
Add a side of garlic toast or a handful of garlic croutons on top. Accompany with a garden salad and your meal is complete!