Rice Bowl with Black Beans, Chicken and Corn: Cholesterol-friendly.
Try this Rice Bowl with Black Beans, Chicken, and Corn for a quick, and easy meal; packed with flavor and cholesterol-lowering ingredients!
Both black beans and avocados are excellent sources of soluble fiber. Soluble fiber helps lower cholesterol. It does this by decreasing its absorption and increasing its secretion. In other words, soluble fiber blocks cholesterol from being absorbed and also helps to remove it from the body.
Black beans and avocados are excellent sources of soluble fiber.
The more soluble fiber we have in our diets, the better our cholesterol numbers are. To learn more about soluble fiber, click here to read about 10 Tips for Lowering Cholesterol Without Medication.
Olive oil is a plant sterol. Plant sterols also help lower cholesterol by competing with cholesterol in the digestive tract. In other words, plant sterols look like cholesterol and “fool” the body into absorbing them instead of cholesterol.
Rice Bowl with Black Beans, Chicken, and Corn is easy to make and can be made ahead and refrigerated. It microwaves well. Bring it for a healthy lunch at the office or dinner meal on the night shift. For more work-time meals, click here for 10 best foods for the night shift worker.
Rice Bowl with Black Beans, Chicken, and Corn
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 med Chicken breasts, cooked and cubed or shredded
- 1 16 oz can Black beans, drained
- 1 small bag Corn, frozen
- 6 cups Brown rice, cooked (1 cup per person)
- 1 tsp each Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, finely diced
- 1 med Avocado, sliced or diced
- 1 wedge Lime
- 3-4 halved Cherry tomatoes
- Add olive oil to a medium skillet
- Place cooked chicken pieces, black beans and corn into the skillet
- Add seasoning and stir until well mixed.
- Over medium heat, stir until the corn is cooked and the mixture is heated through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon prepared rice into bowl and top with chicken mixture.
- Garnish with diced cilantro, avocado and lime.
Nutrition information: 435 calories, 7.1 gr fat, 49 mg chol, 9 gr fiber, 28 gr protein